FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
MONDAY, JUNE 6, 2016
Contact: Ilene Greenfield
Director of Media Relations
973-278-5400, ext. 1-5122
SOMERSET COUNTY GRADUATES RECEIVE DIPLOMAS
Graduates from Somerset County, NJ, were awarded diplomas at the 2016 Berkeley College Commencement ceremony, held on April 29, 2016, at Prudential Center in Newark, NJ. The graduating class included 140 military and veteran students and 200 international students. More than 800 students graduated with honors and nearly 400 students earned their degrees online.
“We live in a time where there are many great needs,” Michael J. Smith, President of Berkeley College, told the graduates. “There are people who can use our help – who can use your help. The universe is waiting for all your great works. I’m counting on each and every one of you to make good things happen.”
The following students from Somerset County received diplomas:
- Nancy Abbott* of Somerset, Bachelor of Science in Business Administration
- Sharon Alleyne* of North Plainfield, Bachelor of Science in Health Services Management
- Cinthya Cruz* of North Plainfield, Bachelor of Science in Fashion Merchandising and Management
- Francis Fernandez* of Bernardsville, Surgical Processing Technician Certificate
- Alexandra Gomez-Vega of Bridgewater, Associate in Applied Science in Business Administration - Management
- Mohamed Kanu of Somerset, Associate in Applied Science in Information Technology Management
- Kelly Lavery* of Green Brook, Associate in Applied Science in Fashion Merchandising and Management
- Lois Lezuabah*+ of Somerset, Bachelor of Science in Health Services Management
- Luis Lugo of Green Brook, Medical Assistant Certificate
- Frances Pagan of Somerville, Associate in Applied Science in Health Services Administration
- Jennifer Pego of North Plainfield, Bachelor of Science in Management – Human Resource Management
- Gabrielle Scarborough* of Branchburg, Medical Assistant Certificate
- Branton Smith of Somerset, Surgical Processing Technician Certificate
- Gregory Spruill* of Somerset, Bachelor of Science in Legal Studies
- Paul Towers* of Basking Ridge, Surgical Processing Technician Certificate
- JodyAnn Watson of Somerset, Bachelor of Science in Justice Studies - Criminal Justice
- Sean Weeks of North Plainfield, Associate in Applied Science in Justice Studies - Criminal Justice
In honor of the College’s 85th anniversary year, Mildred García, EdD, President of California State University, Fullerton, delivered the Commencement Address. Dr. García served as the first system-wide president of Berkeley College from 2001 through 2007.
* Denotes students graduating with honors
+ Denotes graduates of the Honors Program, a selective, interdisciplinary and seminar-based educational opportunity offered to a limited number of high-achieving students
A leader in providing career-focused education since 1931, Berkeley College is accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education and enrolls approximately 8,300 students – including more than 700 international students – in its Baccalaureate and Associate degree and Certificate programs. Students can study in more than 20 career fields. Berkeley College is comprised of the Larry L. Luing School of Business®, the School of Professional Studies, the School of Health Studies, and the School of Liberal Arts. The School of Graduate Studies offers a Master of Business Administration degree in Management online and in Woodland Park, NJ.
Berkeley College has five New Jersey campuses – Dover, Newark, Paramus, Woodbridge and Woodland Park. In New York there are three campuses – Midtown Manhattan, Brooklyn and White Plains. Berkeley College Online® serves a global population. In 2016, U.S. News & World Report named Berkeley College among the Best Colleges for Online Bachelor’s Programs and among the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs for Veterans, both for the third consecutive year. The website address is www.BerkeleyCollege.edu.
- end -