FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 10, 2018
Contact: Ilene Greenfield
Director of Media Relations
973-278-5400, Ext. 1-5122
NEW YORK STATE DEPUTY SECRETARY OF
Share the News: @BerkeleyCollege #WEW2018
Elizabeth de León Bhargava, Esq., Deputy Secretary for Workforce and Labor, New York State, will deliver the keynote address during Women in Leadership: Breaking Barriers, a special event during Women’s Entrepreneurship Week at Berkeley College in Midtown Manhattan (12 East 41st Street).
The event is part of a global initiative to elevate the voices of women in business. Panels will focus on strategies for empowering women economically and politically, incubating the future of women entrepreneurs, and other important issues.
“As women, the choices we make today and actions we take tomorrow have a direct and long-lasting impact on society,” Ms. de León Bhargava said. “In these times, when it’s clear how far we’ve come, yet how much more there still is to do, we must persist in our leadership and strength, like the fierce women who came before us and accomplished what no one thought possible. I am honored and excited to deliver this keynote address, because as leaders in our own communities, NOW is the time to make our voices heard.”
Ms. de León Bhargava was appointed Deputy Secretary for Labor and Workforce in the Office of New York State Governor Andrew M. Cuomo in March 2015. She is the first Latina to hold this position. Ms. de León Bhargava oversees seven State agencies and appeal boards, and was integral in securing New York’s recent increase to the minimum hourly wage to $15 and establishing the nation’s most robust Paid Family Leave program.
The event is open to business owners, chamber members, community leaders, media professionals, students and faculty. Berkeley College will collect gently worn business clothing for a student Career Closet at the event.
• Angela Harrington, Vice President, Communications and External Relations, Berkeley College
• Shelly Jones Jennings, Vice President and Director of Digital, Earl G. Graves, Ltd./BLACK ENTERPRISE
• Vicky Llerena, CEO, Social Vibes Media
• Tendai N’Doro, Regional Director, New Jersey Small Business Development Center
• Cristyne Nicholas, CEO, Nicholas & Lence Communications
• Nancy Ploeger, Executive Director and Secretary, IWEC, The International Women’s Entrepreneurial Challenge Foundation
• Nancy Robles-Guess, Executive Vice President, Operations and Compliance Officer, Eastern Funding LLC
• Amy Soricelli, Vice President, Career Services, Berkeley College
• Syleecia Thompson, DBA, Entertainment Manager and Brand Strategist, DYG Management Group, and Professor, Management, Berkeley College Larry L. Luing School of Business
• Elizabeth Velez, President, The Velez Organization
• Angie Tang, Board Trustee, Berkeley College, and Impact Investing Advisor
• Elana Zolfo, EdD, Dean, Larry L. Luing School of Business
About Berkeley College
A leader in providing career-focused education since 1931, Berkeley College is accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education and enrolls more than 7,000 students – including more than 350 international students – in its Master’s, Bachelor’s, and Associate’s degree and Certificate programs. Students can study in more than 20 career fields. Berkeley College is comprised of the Larry L. Luing School of Business®, the School of Professional Studies, the School of Health Studies and the School of Liberal Arts. The School of Graduate Studies offers an MBA in Management online and in Woodland Park, NJ.
Berkeley College has three New York campuses – Midtown Manhattan, Brooklyn and White Plains. In New Jersey there are four campuses – Newark, Paramus, Woodbridge and Woodland Park. Berkeley College Online® serves a global population. For five consecutive years, U.S. News & World Report has named Berkeley College among the Best Colleges for Online Bachelor’s Programs and among the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs for Veterans. The website address is www.BerkeleyCollege.edu.
- end -
To view a high-resolution version of the photo, visit