FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
THURSDAY, NOVEMBER 21, 2013
Contact: Ilene Greenfield
Director of Media Relations
201-291-1111, ext. 1-5122
BERKELEY COLLEGE ATHLETES RECEIVE HVIAC AND USCAA HONORS
Berkeley College is proud to announce that athletes have received honors from the Hudson Valley Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (HVIAC) and the United States Collegiate Athletic Association (USCAA) for men’s soccer. The athletes attend Berkeley College in Midtown Manhattan, NY.
“May I be the first to congratulate these student-athletes on their accolades,” said Andy DeStephano, Berkeley College Director of Athletics. “Their individual accomplishments have contributed to the overall success of our Men’s Soccer Team at Berkeley College.”
The following athletes were recognized:
- Dare Aniyikaye was named to the All-HVIAC Men’s Soccer Team and received USCAA Honorable Mention All-American honors. Mr. Aniyikaye is a senior forward from Brooklyn in Kings County, NY. He was named HVIAC Player of the Week for the week of October 15.
- Ulises Bravo was named to the All-HVIAC Men’s Soccer Team. Mr. Bravo is a senior defender from Manhattan, NY. He is a returning player who has contributed to the continued success of the Berkeley College soccer program.
- Joachim Moe received USCAA All-Academic honors. Mr. Moe is a senior defender from Trondheim in Norway. He is a returning player who has contributed to the continued success of the Berkeley College soccer program.
- Abdelwahab Mohamed was named to the All-HVIAC Men’s Soccer Team. Mr. Mohamed is a senior midfielder from Brooklyn in Kings County, NY. He was named HVIAC Player of the Week for the weeks of September 10 and October 1. He led the conference in both goals and assists — the first time a player has led the HVIAC in both categories.
- Camilo Montes was named to both the All-HVIAC Men’s Soccer Team and the USCAA National Tournament All-Tournament Team. Mr. Montes is a senior goalie from Corona in Queens, NY. He was named HVIAC Player of the Week for the week of September 4. He also was named to the HVIAC Honor Roll for the week of October 8.
- Haakon Schjelderup was named to the All-HVIAC Men’s Soccer Team and received USCAA Second Team All-American honors. Mr. Schjelderup is a freshman defender from Kolvereid in Norway and Manhattan, NY. He was named HVIAC Rookie of the Week for the week of October 21. He also was named to the HVIAC Honor Roll for the weeks of September 4 and October 1.
Stavros Zomopoulos, Berkeley College Head Coach, Men’s Soccer, New York, was named HVIAC Coach of the Year, after leading the Knights to an undefeated record in HVIAC play.
In total, the HVIAC recognized 19 men for outstanding play throughout the season. The All-HVIAC Men’s Soccer Team and HVIAC Coach of the Year are selected by the conference’s coaches.
The USCAA is a national organization that provides quality athletic competition on a regional and national level while promoting integrity, leadership, scholarship and values of life.
A leader in providing career-focused education for more than 80 years, Berkeley College is accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education and enrolls approximately 8,000 students — including more than 900 international students — in its Baccalaureate and Associate degree and Certificate programs. The College has three New York locations — Midtown Manhattan, Brooklyn and White Plains. In New Jersey there are six locations — Woodland Park, Paramus, Woodbridge, Newark, Clifton and Dover. Berkeley College Online also offers full degree programs. Programs are offered in more than 20 career fields. The website address is www.BerkeleyCollege.edu.
- end -